Thursday 4 August 2011

Vendor Spotlight: Oak Savanna























Today's post features the always lovely Melissa -- the amazing knitting talent and designer behind Oak Savanna. Melissa uses superfine merino wool and/or silk to create beautifully delicate, one-of-a-kind scarves, shawls and kerchiefs; all of which are crafted from her own patterns, and knit with her own two hands.


Elizabeth Simpson: Tell us about yourself.

Melissa: My name is Melissa. I have a day job as an environmental engineer and run Oak Savanna during my free time. Knitting is one of my favourite activities, along with hiking, playing board games and drinking craft beer. Also, I have a very large cat named Artemis.

E.S.: Where/when did you become acquainted with your craft?

Melissa: My mom taught me many forms of crafting in my childhood and knitting was one of them. I learned to knit for the first time when I was 10 years old, to help occupy my time at my grandparents' house during a teachers strike. I made a very chubby bookmark, too chubby for any book, and promptly lost interest in the craft. I retaught myself to knit when I was 18 and haven't stopped knitting since.



E.S.: What do you love most about your craft?

Melissa: What I love most about knitting is the flexibility you have when making something. There are so many different types of yarns and techniques available to a knitter, so it's possible to create anything you can think of (nearly). Also, if you make a mistake, you can easily undo the project, fix the mistake and continue on without any trace of the mistake in the finished product.

E.S.: What are your most favourite materials to work with?

Melissa: It's hard to pick a favourite, but yarn that is a hand-dyed merino wool or a hand dyed blend of merino wool and silk. Yarns made from natural fibres in general are a joy to work with.



E.S.: How do you get your work out in the world? Where else can one find it?

Melissa: Since my business is fairly new, my work is only available online at my Etsy shop and of course, it will be available at the Summer Craft Fair.

1 comment:

  1. totally gorgeous work! can't wait to see these live at the show.

    ReplyDelete